Thursday 8 November 2012

The Good The Bad and The Ugly...

The crazy world of Christmas craft fairs has arrived and I have not only attended and survived my first one but to my great relief my jewellery flew off my table and into the wonderful hands of the craft fair attendees.

In my short experience of craft fairs its very quickly become clear that as much as people love a good craft fair, they can be very hit and miss for the sellers, which got me thinking is it a hit for some because they sell items the public really want or because its the right demographic or both??? and is it a miss because the items are totally wrong for the demographic or maybe location.

On Saturday I was in a hotel on the main road in the function room at the front of the hotel and as people walked in I was in their direct line with all that glitters and sparkles and I really do believe that my location was almost perfect and my sales told me pretty much the same thing. On speaking to a friend of mine who was at the same craft fair but in a location where it was off the main road in a building I had never noticed until the day of the fair. I found her day had been very very different to mine and she understandably and quite rightly so was unhappy and her sales reflected her location too.

Going further into the realms of craft fairs I find with my jewellery it is my key way of selling where the customer can pick up touch try on my jewellery to see how it looks but as I meet more and more people I find that the opinion of craft fairs is very split and more than a few feel they are not worth the effort you have to put in.

So I guess Im wondering is the bubble of craft fairs for sellers like myself on the verge of bursting??

No comments:

Post a Comment